EXECUTIVE PROTECTION DEFENSIVE & SECURITY DRIVING (DRV-201)
This dynamic one-day driving program is fully customized for professional security drivers, executive drivers, and protection teams seeking to build specialized skills and accurately determine the proficiency of each team member. It’s also the only training program certifying every student’s individual skill level in relation to the maximum capabilities of the vehicle, with on-board computers generating precise scientific metrics throughout the course.
This course focuses on vehicle dynamics, collision avoidance, and response to emergency scenarios. Training is conducted by the Global Training Academy in partnership with AS3 International.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for security professionals of all skill levels. Coaching and exercises are gradually adapted to create new skills based on the experience of each individual, from the very basic to the most advanced, measuring each step systematically.
Classroom Instruction (2 hrs.)
Understanding “Driving” from a technical standpoint:
Knowledge and skill exist in different parts of the brain, and making sure you understand a skill’s dynamics will make it last longer in your brain. Our primary focus is on heuristics, which can only be achieved through experimentation within extreme circumstances. The combination of classroom instruction and immediate application on the track supports both sides of this learning model.
The classroom portion of this training examines forces which act upon a vehicle (friction, momentum, and centrifugal force), and how acceleration, deceleration, and cornering affect it, as well as what the driver can, or cannot, do to minimize the effects of those forces.
Topics included in this analysis:
- Time/Distance Relationship
- Lateral Acceleration
- Security Driving 101
After this discussion, you will understand vehicle and driver performance factors, including mechanical and physical limitations for evasive maneuvers, and what you can do to enhance both.
- Advanced time-distance concepts
- Reaction times
- Common causes for loss of control (understeer and oversteer)
- Vehicle prep list
- Up-armored vehicle considerations
- Vehicle ambush statistics
- Tire nomenclature
Practical Exercises (6 hrs.)
Conducted on the tarmac.
Skill Building Exercises
Here’s where we put what you’ve learned in the classroom into practice! The slalom exercise creates the necessary heuristics to develop a profound grasp of the time/distance relationship and hand-to-eye coordination. As with all exercises, students will be expected to perform above 80% of the vehicle’s handling capability. Difficulty will gradually increase with each successful completion of the exercise, until we reach the limit on your skill level.
Threat Avoidance Maneuver
This is where skill meets reality; students will be faced with distractions and decision-making challenges from external cues, further settling the heuristics of driving into their subconscious mind and creating the “fine motor skills” that go with it. In this exercise, students will be expected to react to a visual threat and avoid an obstacle consistently using above 80% of the vehicle’s capability.
Under and Oversteer
A no-simulation, no-BS exercise. Many security-related accidents happen during high energy maneuvers, where the driver’s reaction to an initial crisis immediately causes a secondary crisis— usually many times worse than the first— by not being able to control the vehicle as it reaches its limits.
- Energy maneuverability is not intuitive. You can’t assume you know what control is, unless you’ve experienced out-of-control. We only learn at the level where we make mistakes, and this can only be achieved by destroying several sets of tires per course!
- Reverse Bailout Maneuvers
Understanding the dynamics of your vehicle moving in reverse will create the necessary skills to successfully back out of any situation, and get the car facing forward as soon and as safely as possible.
Combined Skills Exercise
After we’ve created the skillset, we need to put it into perspective so you understand how it will play out in real life.
This exercise has two purposes:
- To evaluate your current skill level at the culmination of the course, and…
- To generate an understanding of how you’ll perform when subjected to high levels of stress (also termed stress inoculation).
Reports & Certificates
Driver performance metrics are measured in real-time via on-board Racelogic computers. Harnessing the most advanced technology from the professional racing sector allows us to determine each participant’s skill level with a level of precision far exceeding simple subjective interpretation by an instructor.
The DRIVER PERFORMANCE REPORT is issued for every student at the end of each course, showing data recorded by Racelogic systems and allowing individuals, teams, and employers to understand:
1) The skill level of each of their drivers, and…
2) The ability of each driver to apply these skills in different scenarios, with increasing degrees of difficulty and stress.
These reports empower managers with scientific data to identify the individuals within their teams who are the best-performing assets in various situations.
Successful participants will also be awarded a CERTIFICATE OF QUALIFICATION issued by the Global Training Academy and AS3 International. Individuals who fail to meet the standards of this program will not be certified by the Academy.
- This is an intensive 8-hour course.
- Instruction and driving exercises will run from 08:00 to 17:00 PST, with a 1-hour catered lunch provided.
- Early Open-Enrollment: $1,450 USD
- Standard Open-Enrollment: $1,595 USD
- Employees: Tuition Waived
- A catered lunch is included at no additional cost.
- Open-enrollment participants are responsible for their own travel, accommodations, and personal insurance (if desired). Accepted applicants will be notified as early as possible to allow ample time for arrangements and reservations.
Please register via the link on this page. Your seat will not be reserved until tuition is received. Tuition is refundable up to 30 days prior to training. All applications are subject to review and vetting. Should any concerns arise in reference to your application you will be contacted by our training management team.
Employees should register via the link on this page. Please select “Skip online payment to pay later or pay offline” on the registration form. Tuition will be waived manually once registration is submitted.
COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
- Participants will have their temperatures checked prior to training.
- Regardless of symptoms, participants should not attend if they are feeling unwell, or if they have been exposed to anyone who has tested positive or exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 within the previous 14 days.
- Social distancing guidelines must be followed whenever possible. All participants should maintain a distance of 6 feet from others except as necessary for specific training scenarios.
- All participants should wear face coverings whenever possible.
- All participants must wash hands frequently and should utilize hand sanitizer regularly. Sanitizer will be provided.
- Please direct any questions or concerns regarding these safety measures to the lead instructor.
- Duke Speed